(That's the Archangel Gabriel, in Spanish.)
The mission was founded Sept. 8, 1771.
It was moved to another site after attacks.
It later was nicknamed "The Queen of all Missions."
It is an active parish today in modern-day San Gabriel.
Here is a map of all the missions.
In April 1937 Henry F. Withey photographed the mission for a survey of historic American buildings. View the photos online at the Library of Congress, here.
View also the survey's amazing architectural drawings.
We'll be exploring mission life in the 1700s in our story.